Thursday, May 13, 2010

Day 3

Today, I was working on solving inventory and storage problems. This is a typical problem in the tonewood industry, as every piece is unique and has to be locate-able. I spent most of the 4 hours I was at the shop working on new shelves before I had to go off to my baseball game. The results of our experiment are a little disappointing, the boiling got some of the turpentine out of the pine tops, but it was not a significant amount. We will continue our experiment, however, by going down to southern New Hampshire, to luthier extraordinaire, Al Caruth's shop where he has a lab set up to test the properties of the wood. We will be making two guitar tops (as in ready to go on a guitar, with bracing, and even a rosette around the soundhole) one of traditional red spruce, and one of pine.

No comments:

Post a Comment